This afternoon I decided to take the leap on my first prototype board that I received a few days ago in the mail. After testing to make sure all the components fit properly, I put some solder paste on the board and carefully placed all the components with my fancy tweezers.
When I put it in the toaster oven, however, it would not reflow. I had it baking for quite a while at 450 degrees and the solder simply would not melt. When I removed the board after a few minutes, the USB connector fell right off — meaning that I was right, the solder did not melt.
I guess my solder paste has gone bad! I ordered a sample from EFD in the meantime.
Now I need to find another way to see if my circuit will work properly! Guess I’ll have to pull out the soldering iron some time soon.